Saturday, January 14, 2006

Trash in the developing world...

Yes, this picture is me and a few other PCVs standing around the "camp fire", e.g. the trash heap, burning plastic along with many other items that shouldn't be burnt. The problem is, there isn't really another option here right now. Every day I wake up in the morning with the smell of burning plastic in the air. It is a big problem, and there aren't that many easy solutions. There are a few garbage trucks and other things around, but I'm pretty sure that just leads to a more consolidated burning operation, or maybe dumping in the ocean, though I'm not really sure. What I do know is that the current system isn't much good, but is the only one around for now.

More information:
Urban Solid Waste Management, The World Bank

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home